Have you been to those sites? https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites
Please check before coming to NBM.
Blessings of the Holy Triple Gem.
May everyone have a peaceful Vesak!
Newbury Buddhist Monastery (fondly referred to as NBM) is one of a very few monasteries in the world and the very first in Victoria, Australia that support both Bhikkhu and Bhikkhuni training, ordination and practice.
In providing a conducive environment and adequate support for the further development of their Buddhist practice in accordance with dhamma and vinaya, we welcome both monastics and devotees incline in the Buddhist Path to stay at NBM subject to:-
- suitability of guest to the monastic environment through a review system, and
- accommodation availability.
Monastics staying at NBM are expected to observe the precepts according to their ordination category. All lay practitioners who stay at the NBM are required to follow the 8 precepts. Please refer to the Conditions of stay – page 13-14 for more details.
Applicants need to understand that:
- Priority of accommodation will be accorded to
- BSV members and NBM volunteers on special tasks,
- Applicants who have taken refuge in the Triple Gem and practising 5 precepts as a way of life.
- There is no formal meditation teaching at the monastery; please ensure that you are able to meditate independently while living in accordance to Buddhist principles within the 4-fold community environment.
- Applicants should be in good physical and mental health:
Note: Please note there are no professional doctors or therapists at NBM who are qualified to provide treatment for mental or physical health conditions.
- Applicants are expected to follow daily routine, attend work meetings and participate in work and group activities.
- Lay-guests must have sufficient funds to support their personal needs such as onward travel and especially if one has special dietary/medical requirements. Please see the Conditions of stay
There is no charge to stay at NBM for Monastics or Laity. However, any donations are welcome for the sustenance of NBM.
Please note that:
- the conditions of stay should be read and understood before you apply:
- A room may not be available for the period of your intended period of stay by the time your online application and scanned documents are received. We will try to provide you the next available period.
- Lay applicants please apply through the Lay Stay Application.
- Monastics please apply through the Monastic Stay Application.
- NBM requires up to 3 business days to process applications.
- If you have applied to stay in NBM previously, you are not required to fill in the application above (unless your personal details have changed). Kindly send an email to the stay email with the dates you wish to stay. (The stay email is the email that we used to communicate with you about your prior stay.)
- Only bookings for a minimum of 3 days stay will be considered outside vassa period. 1 night stays have been discontinued.
- During the vassa period (normally July to early October) we are only able to consider bookings for a minimum of 2 weeks stay.
Thank you for your understanding.
Temperature: Newbury can be cold even during summer. Before coming to NBM, please check the temperature and bring some warm clothing. http://www.bom.gov.au/places/vic/newbury/forecast/
What to Bring
If you are from Victoria, please bring the following:-
- A sleeping bag, a fitted sheet, a blanket and any other bedding items you may need.
- Pillow and pillow case.
- Warm clothing – jackets, socks, beanie etc.
- Towel, toiletries, personal hygiene items, any personal medications.
- A set of work clothes for outdoor work.
Some other optional items you can consider bringing:
- Raincoat / Umbrella.
- Hot water bottle (the one used in bed to keep warm)
- Meditation Cushion (if you need a special one or need one in your room)
- Slippers, Joggers & Warm shoes.
- Small blanket / wrap for hall use
- Drinking Water Bottle / Vacuum flask
- Torch & alarm clock
You are welcome to bring your own meditation cushion if you wish. There are meditation cushions available in the meditation hall. The venue has chairs, should you wish to meditate in a chair. It’s important to bring clothing that allows you to sit on the floor or a chair comfortably. All clothes should be in good repair and appropriate to the occasion (i.e. please don’t wear pyjamas outside your accommodation block). Loose clothing affords better flexibility when sitting cross-legged (i.e. tracksuit pants or cargo pants etc.).
Copyright @ 2021 Newbury Buddhist Monastery